Monday 22 December 2008

Best of 2008: #9 Hot Chip - Made In The Dark

I was never really impressed with "Over and Over" and so had no interest in anything else from The Warning; all the awards and acclaim it received I dismissed as dance dilettantism by indie kids. But Made In The Dark won me over on its own merits. My favourite section is the middle, when "We're Looking For a Lot of Love" provides the first change of pace and then segues into "Touch Too Much", which is musically both upbeat and melancholy, and lyrically introverted. The big loud outro is supposed to be danceable but is actually quite... well, touching... and then there's the very delicate and lovely title track. That sequence showed a subtlety and intelligence which, I suppose, I'd presumed they'd lacked before. I got it wrong. Also, I saw them live at Coachella and they were brilliant. I got it dead wrong.

No comments: